Dr. Johnson is a clinical psychologist whose initial research examined therapeutic relationships in group psychotherapy. Her current interests include interpersonal and gendered aspects of major depression and substance use disorder and their treatment, therapeutic relationship, group treatments, and implementation of evidence-based treatments and principles in low-resource settings such as prisons. Currently, she is focusing her interest in group psychotherapy and interpersonal issues on developing, evaluating, and implementing interpersonal group treatments for high-risk women, including women prisoners, perinatal women, and women with co-occurring substance use and mental health disorders.
Overview | Research | Grants/Awards | Publications
Dr. Johnson earned a B.S. in physics in 1995 and a Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology in 2004 from Brigham Young University (BYU), attending the Palo Alto VA for her predoctoral internship. Dr. Johnson came to Brown as a postdoctoral fellow in treatment research. She completed a NIDA K23 award at Brown, conducting a randomized clinical trial of group interpersonal psychotherapy (IPT)for women prisoners with co-occurring substance use and depressive disorders. She continues to conduct NIH-funded clinical trials of behavioral interventions for high-risk women.
Dr. Johnson is PI on current NIH-funded clinical trials examining:
(1) Effectiveness and implementation of group IPT for major depressive disorder in prisons
(2) Effectiveness of an AA linkage intervention for alcohol-abusing women leaving jail
(3) IPT-based group treatment for women experiencing major depression after a perinatal loss
(4) Transitional interventions to reduce HIV sex risk behavior among women with interpersonal violence as they leave prison and return to the community
(5) IPT/sober network treatment for perinatal women with substance use and major depressive disorder (MDD).
(6) Sober Network IPT delivered via phone for depressed, substance-using women prisoners re-entering the community
Download Jennifer Johnson's Curriculum Vitae in PDF Format
JENNIFER JOHNSON, Ph.D.Jennifer Johnson's Brown Research URL:
Associate Professor of Psychiatry & Human Behavior (Research)
Psychiatry & Human Behavior
Phone: +1 401 444 1916
On The Web:
Crack and depression article in the news
Collaborators at other institutions:
Joel Andrade, Massachusetts Department of Correction
Gary Burlingame, Brigham Young University
Louis Cerbo, Rhode Island Department of Correction
Linda Cottler, Washington University
David Law, Utah State University
Ted Miller, Pacific Institute of Research and Evaluation
Jerica Mohlman, University of Minnesota
Jessica Nargiso, Massachusetts General Hospital
Bernhard Strauss, Friedrich-Schiller-University in Jena, Germany
Faye Taxman, George Mason University
Emily Wang, Yale University
Wendee Wechsberg, RTI
Shannon Wiltsey-Stirman, Boston University
Are you Jennifer Johnson? Click here to edit your research profile.
Back to search page